My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah

My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah
1973 MARTIN D-28

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hi to whoever cares. I left the Iron Horse this morning (Tuesday) at about 6:30. Thank goodness I did not have to go back to Chicago. I took 94 through Wisconsin. Some of the highway was nice and new, some was getting worked on, and 75% sucked. The lanes were buckling and made sharp speed bumps. A couple of times I thought my tires were going to fall off. When I drove over the Mississippi river I was in Minnesota .The speed limit is 70 mph. I kept seeing signs that said 90 so that is what I did most of the time. After a while I discovered that the signs were the highway number, so I split the difference and set the cruise control at 80 mph. The roads in minnesota are really nice when they aren't getting worked on. The parts that are getting worked on can go on for 20 miles or more. The ones that are finished are great. At times I was the only vehicle on the road. When I crossed the South Dakota line the speed limit changed to 75mph. I did not see one police officer. Knock on wood. My bike is awesome. It hasn't missed a beat. It has the three most important things that make a great bike. A tachometer, cruise control, and a sound system. Awesome! I am now in mitchell, SD. I rode a little over 600 miles today. Tonights stay is not as glamorous as last nights. Tonight I am staying at the thunderbird lodge. It smells like old air condition with indoor outdoor carpet. The towels are like paper thin, and they don't comp any shampoo. The only good thing about it is that I have my bike parked right at the door. When you open the door you have to go around it. I have the curtains opened a little so I can see it. I also have a window opened a little so I can hear if anyone gets near it. Tomorrow I am going to Deadwood and stay a day or two and see the sights. So far most of the trip has been fast and flat. The farms in Minnesota are huge. They go on for miles and miles, and there are hundreds of giant windmills. It seems to me that a lot of the government stimulus money is getting used for what it was earmarked for. The road construction has been nonstop all the way from Pa to SD, and the alternative energy is being used in Minnesota. Now if only those people will go buy a Harley. The trip so far has been a lot of fun. I do miss my family and wish that they were here. Especially tonight at the thunderbird. That is so cool that they name the lodge after a cheap wine. Until the next time, Good night. Danny

1 comment:

me said...

you are a chuckle! We miss you too. i promise from here on out your views will only improve.the Black Hills are awesome and Deadwood is super cool, WIld Bill was killed there, and he and Clamity Jane are buried there. little gold mining towns. Jed wants pics of Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Your ride across the top of Wyoming will be great too. Just watch for construction and paved highways turning to gravel in a blink! It will just keep getting better.
Love you have fun...enjoy
K