My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah

My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah
1973 MARTIN D-28

Saturday, October 9, 2010

10 days off






Work is shut down for all of next week. I think that is about 10 days off. When I get back to work everything will be different. Almost all of the machines that are used to make laced wheels, will be gone. They are being moved to a company called syencreon. I don't know if that is exactly how you spell it but that is close enough. The workers at Harley Davidson who made the wheels,had at least eleven years experience and were paid $24.00 an hour. At Syencreon the workers have about one week experience and get paid $10.00 an hour. This is supposed to be better for the Co. and the customers that buy Harley Davidson motorcycles. I don't see how but I am not the one in charge of these kind of decisions. From what they tell me, I am not smart enough to understand. All I know is that I buy and ride the motorcycles. Or I should say I used to buy. I won't ever buy another new one. I need to know that the people that built my bike, knew what they were doing. Maybe in three or four years they will, but in my opinion, I don't see how they could now. It took me over eleven years to be able to make the amount of wheels that are needed in one day. I just don't see how people with one week of training can make a safe wheel. Just my opinion. It really is not worth much in this case. I am just going to enjoy my days off. I have no control about what happens at Harley Davidson. Kristin and I went out riding today. The weather is awesome. Next year I hope to be riding on a new Victory Motorcycle. They also assemble motorcycles in the U.S.A. Arlen Ness is associated with Victory. He is like the king of custom motorcycles. He also sent his condolences when Jed passed away. I don't remember getting anything from Harley. I bought a bushel of crabs from a friend at work. I did not realize how many crabs that is. They were very yummy.We ate until we couldn't eat anymore. Then we picked the rest and now have a big bag of crab meat. Yay! I wish I could say it was a wonderful day. It was as good as could be expected, but not what it should be. With Jed not here to share the crabs and sunshine makes a great day a little less shiny. Not to sound so negative, it just how I feel. I am thankful that we did get to laugh , smile, and share with people we love. Now it is time to say "goodnight". I love and miss you Jed.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Love the picture of the old building. Where did you take that?