My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah

My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah
1973 MARTIN D-28

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Baseball game 2004




In the hot summer month of Aug. 2004, a friend at work asked Kristin if she knew anyone who would like to buy two tickets to an Orioles baseball game at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Md. When she asked me I thought maybe Jed would like that. He had never been to a professional baseball game before. He was six and just starting his third year of treatment. When Jed was first diagnosed with leukemia, those three years were a lot less intense than when he relapsed. The third year was the beginning of maintenance and Jed felt pretty good. He was six and had no hair. He was bald from the chemo. His head was beautiful and perfectly round. I used to tell him I was going to shave my head so I could look like him. He said " no you can't do that, your head is crooked and one ear is higher than the other". Nothing like being honest. Anyway back to the baseball game. The game was on a Saturday and I think it started around One o'clock in the afternoon. We arrived about 11:00. I had never been there before and wanted to make sure we were there on time. The gates weren't even open yet when we arrived. We walked around and looked at all the different people that were selling things outside of the park. Some woman was selling bottled water for $1.25 . She told us the water was something like $3.00 a bottle inside the gates. We bought four or five bottles. When the gates finally opened we went to our seats that were right behind home plate. Unfortunately the sun was also right behind home plate. It was about 90 degrees and the sun was just beaming down right on our seats. We had to pour the water, that we bought, on the seats so we could sit on them. We spent a lot of the time, before the game started ,walking around searching for shade. We were also exploring all the different things and places the Yard had to offer. The game finally started and we went to our seats. Again we poured the water on the seats before we sat on them. The water almost evaporated before we could sit on it. I don't know about you but I am not a big baseball kind of guy, but I figured if Jed liked it that was all that counted. If its not the world series it can be very boring and SLOW and llooonnnggg. After one full inning I looked over at Jed and could see that he was sweating. He would take his hat off and I would tell him to put it back on. That would be all he needed. a bald sunburned head. I was soaked in sweat. I asked him if he liked the game. He nodded his little head yes. Then I asked him if he would like to go to the ESPN zone and play video games. Without hesitation he stood up and said "Lets Go". On the way there I asked him what he thought about the game. He said it was to hot and to slow. My thoughts exactly. We spent the rest of the day playing and having a great time. Jed loved the ESPN zone. Whats not to love for a little boy. Video games and food. Some of the best times Jed had there, was when his best friend DJ went with us . I love you Jed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely story... Jeds life was not long but it was lovingly fulled....much love Peggy H. (plh)