My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah

My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah
1973 MARTIN D-28

Saturday, March 6, 2010

king of the parade






One thing Jed loved to do with Kristin and I was to go riding on our motorcycles. I can remember the first time I took Jed on a ride. I know everyone, including myself, was a little worried. After all anything can happen. I'm not much of a hot rodder anyway. I have already had the misfortune of having a terrible wreck when my honda 750 cc went into a high speed wobble when I was in my early twentys. I don't remember the exact age it was so long ago. I was going close to 90 miles an hour when the bike started wobbling violently. I was driving on the MacArthur freeway in San Leandro, Calif. The next thing I remember was sliding down the pavement on my face and chest. At the time I was wearing only a tee shirt, jeans and a pair of converse tennis shoes. I hit the ground so hard that my shoes flew right off of me. I could write quite a bit about the wreck but that is another story. Every since then I have learned to respect the motorcycle a little more and to be a lot more cautious. As a side note, the Honda was not mine and I, nor the owner, realized the bearings in the swinging arm were shot at the time. So I am cautious when I ride and a lot more cautious when I would ride Jed on the back. Every year Jed loved to go to York's bike week and Gettysburg's bike week. He has been to six or seven of them. He loved to watch the bike parade and all the bikes go streaking by. We had never rode in the parade mainly because it looked like to much work worrying about the bikes in front and in back of you. Two years ago, this man that Kristin and I work with, asked Kristin if Jed would like to be the Grand Marshal of the Parade. The man who asked Kristin was Jon Golihew and he was, and still is I think, the president of the York County harley davidson owners association. Kristin said she would ask Jed. We really didn't know what the Grand Marshal was or did. Jon said that Jed would lead the parade. How awesome is that. Naturally Jed said yes. The day of the parade rained, which in not that unusual for bike week. It rained all weekend of bike week . Bike week is from Thursday to Sun. A pretty big deal for York. A lot of money. Most riders are prepared for a little rain. When it was time for the parade, everyone started meeting at the fair grounds. About an hour before the parade the rain started letting up. Soon there was a lot of bikes. On a sunny day there can be a thousand or more bikes in the parade. When the parade was just about to begin, the rain quit and there were hundreds of motorcycles ready to drive down market street. The way it was set up was, two police bikes in front of the line then Jed and I on my 2005 road king custom . Then behind us was Kristin on her 2006 Harley Deuce with her dad Wayne on his Road King. Then behind them was the management of the Harley Davidson York Plant as is the custom. Jed thought that was so cool that they had to follow him ( the managers). Jed waved to everyone. He made a great Grand Marshal. I can never thank Jon Golihew enough. People think that Harley Davidson puts this parade on. In reality they have very little to do with it. As always its the riders that have the big hearts. The president of Harley York didn't even ride in the parade that night. That's the only one I can remember that he didn't ride in. Maybe he didn't like the fact that he wouldn't be in the front and would have to follow his employees. Ha! Just when the parade ended it started raining again. I also want to thank the police that lead the front of us. They were so awesome and nice to Jed. They really made him feel special that night. The one officer sent Jed a letter and a police patch. I wish I could remember his name right now but I can't and I will edit it in later. When we got to the end of the parade and parked, one of the plants higher ups, gave Jed a trophy that said "York bike night parade" JED SMITH 2008 Grand Marshal. It was a real nice jester and the person who gave it to Jed is a nice man that I have met a few times, that doesn't have that management against employees mentality. This trophy is about 12 inches high with a gold motorcycle of top. Its all plastic with a made in china sticker on the bottom. That seems about right knowing who gave it to him. Regardless Jed Loves that trophy. He kept it on his top shelf and you could always see it when you went in his room. I always loved riding with Jed. Jed I love you and miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great memory, read with a tear....plh