My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah

My first present from Kristin Jed and Savannah
1973 MARTIN D-28

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Janis Joplin


A future Rock Star


This is the second time that I am writing this. The first time everything disappeared into computer heaven, or wherever it goes when it disappears. This weekend is what they call bike week. It is really only a couple of days. I was not interested in going. Usually Jed would ride with me. We would go down and watch all the bikes in the parade. Kristin would ride her bike. Jed was very proud that Kristin had her own bike. He thought it was way cool. It is not that appealing without Jed. Another reason is that I am so disappointed in the company Harley Davidson. I mean, I love riding my motorcycle, but I would like riding any motorcycle. The only reason I ride a Harley is because I work there. I would never buy another new Harley. Not when you can buy a used one that is just broke in, and save yourself about five or six thousand dollars. Lets face it, most people keep their Harleys up better than their houses. Anyway enough of that. The last time I wrote on my blog, I made a list of some of the concerts and musical artist that I had seen. When I went to work the next day I started thinking about all of the artist that I have seen in my life. I wrote them down as I thought about them. When I was finished ,there was a list of 105 artist , I could have added to the list on my blog. I won't bore you with the whole list but I do want to write about one that was a real standout. That was seeing Janis Joplin at the fillmore west in San Francisco. It was April 4th 1970. I am pretty certain that it was a Saturday. My Friend Floyd informed me that Janis Joplin was going to be playing at the Fillmore that night with Big Brother and the Holding Co. That was a very big deal because Janis Joplin had split up with Big Brother about two years earlier. After the cheap thrills album was released. That album became a huge success. I had not seen Janis Joplin before that night, and was very excited to go. I was a huge fan after listening to the Cheap Thrills album. Yes Album. I remember when Bill Graham started to announce, about the special performance that we were about to see, the crowd stood up, and went wild. When Janis Joplin hit the stage it was electric. No one set down. She really was mesmerizing. I remember her singing "piece of my heart'. She never stopped moving and stomping her foot. They preformed almost all of the Cheap Thrills album, and them some. It is really hard to compare her to anyone. When she sang ball and chain, you could tell she was giving you everything. It was one of the best concerts that I have been to.Janis Joplin died six months later on Oct.4. The shows at the Fillmore west were usually great. It was just the right size. Anyway that is all for tonight. Jed I love you and hope that Janis Joplin is singing for you. Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan, You must be one lucky guy. We would have loved to have seen Janis Joplin. Wow. We love concerts also and go every chance we get. Janis was it for the day...love to all plh